Tell me this…Have you ever heard of a business working with an advertising agency for any decent length of time?
I know I haven’t. But I’ve heard plenty of stories of businesses working with half-assed agencies delivering sub-par results for several months.
Why is this? Because 99/100 agencies can’t deliver. If you’ve worked with one in the past you likely know this. Why is this?
Typical agency models are not designed for profit maximization. They were designed by companies with boatloads of risk capital that can operate at a loss for years and keep the lights on and payroll met.
Now, when small business owners adopt these models they find themselves barely getting by and feeling suckered! They essentially bought themselves more confusion than clarity. If you haven’t worked with an agency before, look around and find one that can keep clients long-term. You’ll be hard-pressed to find one.
In reality, growing your business comes down to two vital Cs: capacity and capability. Your capacity is the amount of work you can take on, while your capability is the complexity level of the work you can take on. Being honest with yourself about your personal capacity and capability will be integral to your business’s growth.
Questions to ask yourself about your capacity:
- Do you have the capacity to grow?
- Do you have enough people in place?
- Are there enough hours in your team’s day?
- Are your contractors ready to go?
Questions to ask yourself about capability:
- Do you have the capability to grow?
- Are your contractors experienced?
- Do you have the systems and processes in place to deliver amazing results?
- Do you have what it takes to keep on board the clients you bring on board?
Without the capacity and capability necessary to scale, you’re not going to scale. That’s just how it works.